James G. Ryan
Dr. James Ryan is a writer and publisher who has been active in Irish genealogy for the past 25 years His book ‘Irish Records’ (published by Ancestry Inc., now with Turner Publishing) has been a standard guide for Irish genealogists since its first publication in 1987. His research interests during this time have included church records, which resulted in his editing and publication of ‘Irish Church Records’ which provides the background to the creation and survival of these records. In recent times he has been researching Rentals (i.e. records of tenant agreements and rent payments). He has lectured and taught extensively, and has given presentations to over thirty genealogy societies, mainly in the USA. On two occasions he presented one-week courses on Genealogy at the Milwaukee Irish Summer School. He was also a professional family history researcher for many years, but in recent years has concentrated on lecturing and publishing. He writes a blog for the In-Depth Genealogist (http://theindepthgenealogist.com), and also contributes articles for their magazine; and also writes a blog for www.flyleafpress.ie .
o Irish Records – Sources for Family & Local History. Ancestry Inc 1997 / Turner Publishing
o Tracing your Dublin Ancestors: Flyleaf Press, Dublin 2009
o Irish Church Records. Flyleaf Press, Dublin 2001
o Sources for Irish Family History. Flyleaf Press, Dublin
o Tracing your Sligo Ancestors: Flyleaf Press, Dublin 2012
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Rentals as an Irish Family History Resource. Southern California Genealogy Jamboree. Los Angeles, June 2013
- Strange and Unusual Sources for Irish Genealogy. Southern California Genealogy Jamboree. Los Angeles, June 2013
- Estate Rentals. Irish Family History Soc., Gilbert Library, Dublin 2. October 2013
- Census, Church & Civil Records. Monaghan Genealogy Training. Monaghan 2013
- Strange and Unusual Sources for Irish Genealogy. Back to our Past Exhibition, RDS Dublin 2013.
- Rentals as a resource. Irish Genealogical Society. Dun Laoghaire, Dublin. 2013
- Understanding Irish Names and Place names. Sons of the American Revolution Genealogy Conf. Dublin, May 2014
- Irish Census Records. Society of Genealogists Seminar, London, August 2014
- Irish Estate Rentals. Society of Genealogists Seminar, London, August 2014
- Sources for Irish Family History. Scottish Assoc. of Family History Societies Conference 2014
- Irish Catholic Records. Who do you think you are – Live, Birmingham, 2015
Content not available at this time.
If you would like to contact this author or request them for an appearance or interview, please e-mail Turner Publishing at or call us at (615) 255-2665.