The Declaration of Independence as you've never seen it before ... more
- ISBN 9781630260293
- Imprint Wiley
- Category History
Click below to purchase
The Declaration of Independence as you've never seen it before
Some of us cherish it with near-scriptural reverence. Others simply take it for granted. In this contentious new look at the Declaration of Independence, however, celebrated attorney Alan Dershowitz takes America's birth certificate and its principal author, Thomas Jefferson, to task.
Dershowitz searches for the sources, history, and underlying reasoning that produced the Declaration and its particular language, from its reference to the Laws of Nature and Nature's God through the long list of complaints against the abuses of King George III. He points out contradictions within the document, notes how the meanings of Jefferson's words have changed over the centuries, and asks many disturbing questions, including:
* Where do rights come from?
* Do we have unalienable rights?
* Do rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness have any meaning?
* How could slaveowners claim to believe that all men are created equal?
* Is the God of the Declaration the God of the Bible?
* Does the Declaration establish a Christian State?
* Are there Laws of Nature and of Nature's God?
Challenging, upsetting, and controversial, this brilliant polemic may anger you, delight you, or force you to reexamine your opinions. One thing's for sure: after reading America Declares Independence, you'll never take the Declaration of Independence for granted again.