Your reward is a well-behaved dog! ... more
- ISBN 9780764596438
- Imprint Howell Book House
- Category Pets
Click below to purchase
Your reward is a well-behaved dog!
Young and old, large and small, pedigreed and mixed-breed, dogs respond to clicker training. Preferred by many professionals, clicker training is a positive, precise, and effective method of reinforcing good behavior. Noted dog trainer Miriam Fields-Babineau explains clicker training techniques step by step so that all dog owners can use the approach. Whether you want to train your dog to obey basic commands, perform tricks, compete in performance sports, or do service work, clicker training gets results and enhances your relationship with your dog. Focusing on actual techniques rather than theory and science, this book explains how to:
* Use the three-step pattern: lure, click, reward
* Use an appropriate tone of voice and the right verbal cues
* Incorporate visual cues, with suggestions for signals for specific actions
* Distraction-proof your dog, teaching him to focus on you (and the clicker) even when there's lots of commotion
With real-life examples from the author's experiences plus photos that illustrate proper form, this book will get you and your dog enthusiastic about training.It's truly rewarding!