The real story behind a very private American fashion icon—Lilly Pulitzer ... more
- ISBN 9781620458150
- Imprint Wiley
- Category Biography & Autobiography
Click below to purchase
The real story behind a very private American fashion icon—Lilly Pulitzer
Today, Lilly Pulitzer's iconic brand of clean-cut, vibrantly printed clothes called Lillys can be spotted everywhere. What began decades ago as a snob uniform in Palm Beach became a general fashion craze and, later, an American classic. In contrast to the high visibility of her brand, Lilly Pulitzer has largely kept her tumultuous personal story to herself. Bursting forth into glossy fame from a protected low-key world of great wealth and high society, through heartbreaks, treacheries, scandals, and losses, her life, told in detail here for the first time, is every bit as colorful and exciting as her designs.
- Offers a close-up of Palm Beach society, replete with tropical mischief, reckless indulgences and blatant infidelities as well as fascinating stories about the Pulitzer and Phipps families and their world of eccentrics, high achievers, intermarriages, and glamorous trendsetters
- Takes a fresh look at the Roxanne Pulitzer scandal and the atmosphere that fed it, and other episodes involving Lilly Pulitzer's family and social circle
- Traces the many ups-and-downs in Lilly Pulitzer's personal life as well as her business, which suffered a decline in the 1980s before its resurgent transformation into the thriving success it is today
- Includes 25 black-and-white photographs that bring Lilly Pulitzer's world to life
Lilly is a must read not only for fans of Lilly Pulitzer and her Lilly brand, but for anyone interested in a journey through the world of privilege and the life of a true American original.
Kathryn Livingston has had a long career in magazines covering fashion and fashionable people. First as a staff writer at Harper's Bazaar, then as executive editor of Town & Country....more