A Plain-language Medical Guide for Horse Owners and Trainers ... more
- ISBN 9781630261146
- Imprint Howell Book House
- Category Pets
Click below to purchase
A Plain-language Medical Guide for Horse Owners and Trainers
Painful and potentially debilitating tendon and ligament injuries are among the most common and serious physiological problems facing performance horses. The severity ranges from minor injuries to those that end careers or even the horse's life. However, with proper treatment, these injuries can be overcome, and permanent damage minimized.
Writing in concise, accessible language, equine veterinarian Linda Schultz provides the most up-to-date information on identifying, treating, and managing tendon and ligament injuries. You'll review basic anatomy, understand how and why these injuries occur, and discover the effects of horseshoeing on tendons and ligaments. You'll see exactly what you should (and shouldn't) do during the critical healing process-plus, you'll learn to communicate effectively with your veterinarian to ensure your horse is soon back on his feet and doing his job.
* Features the latest treatment options and alternative therapies
* Includes a sample controlled exercise schedule and guidelines for recuperation times
* Explains treatment of acute injuries and directed therapy, as well as the current surgical techniques
* Discusses the benefits and drawbacks of support wraps, boots, and bandages